Saturday, July 01, 2006

Weekend in Kabul


Thursday and Friday here equate to the weekend or our Saturday and Sunday so i've had a relaxing start to my time here. A friend of mine from Korea days has been living here for about 2 years and it was his birthday this week, so on Thursday night I went with some other NGO workers to his surprise party. It was nice to meet some other like minded people about my age and to catch up with Garry.

Yesterday I went to a 'Friday meeting' with people of all different nationalities and backgrounds, really special. A guy from Ireland spoke and it was excellent! After that I went to a Lebanese restaurant for lunch- the gate to which was guarded by a couple of guys with machine guns! After lunch we headed for the famous chicken street, where beggars in burqas cried for money and where there were heaps of great things to buy (not cheaply unfortunately)- beautiful jewellery, hats, carpets, scarves, bags etc. I just checked out the options, will go back just before I leave when I know how much money I have left. The cost of living here in Kabul is really high, surprisingly.

Yesterday in the early evening I discovered the wonders of sitting up on our roof (photo is of me posing up there!). Apart from swirling up all the dust, the breeze was wonderful. I enjoyed looking out at the mountains in front of me and the people going about their lives in the street below, listening to the call to prayer 'God is great' from a distant mosque... just absorbing it all. There is so much rebuilding to be done in this place that it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm wondering what it is exactly I am doing here and what I could possibly do in the future.

Friday night an American guy came over bearing a Tv and some salmon. I had seaweed with me from Denmark so we made sushi.. sat and ate it while watching the soccer Germany vs Argentina, with pashtu commentary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Great photo!! You look "the part" and it is a beautiful city.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home