Thursday, July 13, 2006

back in action

Feeling much better ... yay:) Am eating and out and about again. In fact, I just got back from the pool.. a regular Thursday feature here (this is the first day of our weekend)

The organisation I am with here (ora) do a few different things. One is that they have an HIV/Aids team that have a Health & Counselling Centre and educate people in prisons, schools, sex workers, truck drivers etc about Aids. I am teaching English to the team (all Afghans). There are two groups, a beginner class and an advanced class. I teach an hour a day, alternating the 2 groups. They are really nice. Because I was sick I have only had two classes, but they are all so enthusiastic and willing to learn so that is awesome. I will try and make the most of the next week or so of teaching them.

I am meant to be studying Dari here, but it took a while to get a teacher sorted and now she is busy with exams and then i was sick.. and anyway i am not doing as much language as i had anticipated but that is totally ok. i am learning some...

I have been doing a bit of thinking about various things recently... as you do... wondering what i am doing here, where i am heading in the future. Am loving living in Denmark and really enjoying teachers college. In many ways I love to teach and think that being a teacher in the future would be cool. But I am also interested in this part of the world and wondering how training to be a teacher really fits in with a heart for aid and development work. So it was cool to meet for lunch today with a girl from Australia who is working for an NGO involved in the education sector here. There is a huge lack of teachers in this country... so they are working with training up (female) teachers in a couple of provinces, first giving them high school level education and then teacher training in the curriculum plus some extra subjects (Peace education, health education, human rights...). Was interesting to hear about it and to hear of the dedication of some of those who want to learn.. walking b/w 1 and 3 hours to get to the class each day. I am realising that in lots of situations, like this one, and in other NGOS there are Afghans who can teach or do whatever, but the jobs that need doing are planning, coordinating, and evaluating projects... Not sure how to train for that kind of thing, but could be a good idea...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home